May 18, 2014

I need a vacation from my laundry...

yep, my laundry. I can not seem to get on top of it.  No, I mean literally. If I were to pile all the dirty laundry upstairs with all the clean laundry strung out in my basement right now, I would have to climb it like a mountain. Seriously. And even if I have a good week where I'm keeping up and everything seems manageable, it's only a matter of time before it's all out of control again. I understand now why we had the "big bin" growing up. It was a large sectioned off area next to our washer and dryer in the garage and when laundry came out of the dryer, it went into the bin.  Makes sense. Not a bad idea, Mom and Dad. Yes, I need a really, really, big bin.

But it's not just the laundry. I wish it was only the laundry. But it's the dishes, too. I went to Target today and bought all kinds of little kitchen helpers. You know, paper plates, paper bowls, plastic spoons...I do this sometimes when I'm feeling really overwhelmed. I bought extra this time.    

Laundry and dishes, no big deal in the grand scheme of things. In fact, they are just things, right?.  These are inanimate objects for crying out loud, so how is it possible that they get to me so much? They can't say a single word, but somehow they make me feel like a complete failure. I think to myself, "If I can't even keep up with my laundry and dishes, what is wrong with me?" 

Okay, so I know my identity and value are not tied to whether or not I have clean (put away) laundry and dishes. I know that I need to buckle down and get some better systems going to keep up with things since I function best when the house is clean and organized. But even still, why do I feel like I never measure up to what I should be as a mom?

Last night I saw one of the best movies I've seen in a long time: "Moms Night Out." Absolutely hilarious!!! Every mom needs to see this movie! It is SO GOOD!!!  It hit home even more than I had expected it to. I guess what I really loved was the fact that I didn't feel alone. The main character, played by Sarah Drew, is absolutely overwhelmed. On one hand, she is living her dream of getting to be a wife and mother of three precious children. But she wonders, "Why do I feel this way?" She feels the way I feel...like a failure. And when you feel this way, it's not much fun. It's not that I feel like a failure every minute of every day, but I've been feeling this sense of not measuring up quite a bit here lately. I wonder how many other moms out there are in the same boat?  

If you've ever felt that way, then I think you'll appreciate the encouraging words given to the mom in this movie: If God chose you to be the mommy for these children, then He didn't make a mistake. Just be the person He created you to be...He'll make up the rest.  

I think as moms we all feel at times like we're not enough. I see so many things in my life that don't measure up. But maybe I need to take their advice and stop beating myself up for all the ways I fall short and instead focus on being who God created me to be and trust Him to do the rest. Maybe one day I'll get it together and even write a blog about how to conquer Mt. Laundry and slay the Dish Dragon. But even if I never do, I know that I'm where God wants me and He will give me what I need to be the wife and mom that He's called me to be. And when I feel like I'm not enough, I can remember that He truly is more than enough. And that gives me great hope!  

-Rachel :-)


4 comments:

  1. Such a good post. I felt the same way when I saw the movie & your post is another great reminder. :) I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for telling me about the movie several weeks ago!!! You were the inspiration for the inspiration! And thanks, too, for your encouraging words!

      Delete
  2. Oh Rachel..I love that you are blogging. .great first post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. It's fun to start this blogging adventure along with you and Sarah!

      Delete