May 24, 2014

Even when there's chaos all around me...

...by chaos I mean screaming kids, cheerios all over the floor, mail all over the countertops, leaking diapers, and for me, because I'm homeschooling right now, I've got the clock breathing down my neck, and all I can think about is, "How am I ever going to get my thousand hours in and finish these books before the end of the school year???"  

So, to keep my sanity, I try to check my email or facebook or sometimes I find myself getting sucked into that bottomless pit of everything that's adorable and amazing (aka Pinterest)...and I hear them yelling for me.  I have to confess, sometimes I just tune it out.  I know I should go figure out why they're screaming and who did what and go divvy up the appropriate consequences, but please...can't I just finish writing this email for goodness sakes?!

A dear friend of mine sent me a text the other day telling me about a blog called: www.babyboybakery.com.  The blog is written by a mom named Jacqui who makes amazing sweet treats but with more natural ingredients (like organic 'nutter butters').  But about 3 weeks ago, their entire world changed.  Ryan, their 3 year old little boy, was taken from them in a tragic accident.  One moment they're enjoying the perfect day at Disneyland, and then hours later they're having to say goodbye...without any warning.

This is the kind of thing we moms can't bear to even think of.  It's far too painful to let our minds even go there.  And if we start to...it's emotionally paralyzing.  

Jacqui wanted to write the eulogy for her son's service.  I know that God must have given her the grace and strength to be able to write this and then share it at Ryan's service. Here is part of what she shared: 
On a typical day Ryan would wake up before Dan and I. He would creep into our room to make sure we were sleeping and then grab his little iPad. He stayed quiet for a few minutes then he would crawl into our bed and yell “Its get up time!”. Dan would get up and I would take forever to get out of bed. As soon as I was in the kitchen making coffee, Ryan would come in and start grabbing things from the fridge to make his morning smoothie. He loved eating the frozen fruit and his favorite was picking out a colored straw. “I’m gonna have a geen one today mom.” he would tell me. Getting Ryan dressed for the day was my favorite and we would take photos of his outfits everyday. Dan always picked him up from school, and Ryan loved riding in “Daddy’s race car”. Those typical daily moments are what we will miss most.
she concludes: Together Dan and I stand here still a family of three. We have a three and half year old son. His name is Ryan Cruz. And we ask you to please, please continue to remember how incredible our child is. Promise that you will Live loud, live wild…Live like our Ryan Cruz. 





you can read the rest of their story at: http://www.babyboybakery.com/  


This story did something for me--it stopped that clock that was hounding me.  It froze time and made me think about things differently.  This mom and dad would give anything to have just one more day with Ryan.  One more chance to do something ordinary...with Ryan.  Those little things like teethbrushing, eating breakfast together, strapping them in their car seats while they tell us about Lightning McQueen or whatever toys they're into...these moments are gifts.  EVERY moment we get to spend with our little ones is a perfect gift from God.  Even if the moment is stressful, crazy, messy, sleep-deprived, whatever it might be, it's what Ryan's parents would give anything to have just one more of.  And I want to start enjoying these moments more.  

My friend who told me about the blog is someone in my life who lives out this very thing I'm talking about.  In fact, she shared one of her favorite quotes with me by framing it with a picture she had taken of our oldest son.  It says: "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."  

I want to do that.  I want to slow down and take in the moments.  Even if I'm tired, even if the kids are being difficult, even if I'm cleaning up messes from them and the dog, I want to appreciate the fact that I get to even have these moments. I want to love on these little ones and treasure every moment, because even when there is chaos all around me, I'm so thankful to have them all around me. 

-Rachel 

1 comment: