May 29, 2014

What do other moms do to keep their sanity?

    • I want to know, don't you?  So I asked several moms the question: "What is one thing that helps you keep your sanity during the day?"  or if your kids are grown, "What is something you did to keep your sanity when the kids were young?"  Here's what they said:

    • Time with The Lord first thing in the morning before the kids got up. It set the tone for the day. -Michelle C.
    • Sanity? I think I lost that about 5 years ago!  -Lori W.

    • Other young mom friends kept my sanity! We went through things together! We went to the park together etc. Also, having a wonderful husband helped a lot but he couldn't always be there! We had play dates with friends before it was called that!  -Joy L. 

      What Joy said! I agree!  -Jeanette S.  

    • Right now, being able to get outside with the girls. In the winter we were cooped up so long I don't know how I didn't go nutty. We go out several times a day now. The sun and fresh air make a huge difference for myself and the girls.  -Ashley G. 
    • Diet Coke and chocolate  -Melissa B.
    •   
    • I'm not a mom but I do "mother" some of my coworkers and employees! Lol! 5- 10 min yoga breaks are a life saver at times!  -Rachel F. 
    • I also agree with all the other comments, except I use tea instead of coke! And for the most part I only have to make it til 6:-)  -Lori W. 


      I used to take mommy time outs in my closet just until I could face my children with a new attitude and a happy heart.  -Gina L.
    • I get up an hour before [my daughter] gets up and do yoga or go for a run if [my husband] is still home. Helps me clear my mind and have some quiet before the madness.  Coffee has superpowers too. Lol  -Megan W. 

    • "10 minute pick-ups" When then house was a mess I found it hard to keep my sanity. At least once a day I would happily announce to the kids we were going to pick things up and put them away as fast as we could for just 10 minutes. I set the timer and they saw it more as a game than a chore. Afterward we all felt better. -Fawn B. 

    • Working out. Humor--I could be so aggravated and then they would do something cute. It also gets easier as they get older. I don't think I have as many insane moments.  -Karen C. 

    • The morning is my time to get up before anyone and have time to spend with the Lord, extra loads of laundry, getting ready for dinner and planning the school day if needed. If you are a "night owl" all that can be done the night before... My favorite thing to do in the middle of the day to calm everyone down is to read together... I use that time to read to them and not have them read to me... It can make a huge difference in the afternoon attitudes for myself and them. Even if I have housework to do it can wait until my relationship with them is good again.  -Jennifer D. 
    • Join Flylady.net for no fees she sends you a daily agenda to help you keep up with the house which us hard with or without young kids!!! Her mottos have helped me greatly -- such as " if you make it FUN it will get done!"...  "You can't organize clutter" ...PS - She's called the FLY LADY standing for "Finally Loving Yourself" and I think she also coined how to overcome 1 step at a time to overcome "CHAOS" - Can't have anyone over syndrome!!    -Mary Anne J. 

    • My sanity saver is definitely the am! I am an early riser and feel like a better mom when i get alone time with the Lord, exercise and even some fun reading time to myself in... I try to involve the kids in my world instead of making it just my thing... I love running so I have tried to get my kids involved in some races... I even read thru the Bible for fun with them and try to make it not a structured thing every time... I used to only read my Bible in my quiet time alone before they got up but realized that if they never saw me read it, how could i teach them to want to themselves.  -Tiffany N.  

    • Light a candle ...it gives kind of a serene feeling and they say that scent is calming to the soul.... And some quiet music playing in the background  -Linda M. 

    • One thing that always made a difference for me was showering, getting dressed (not just throwing on sweats), and putting makeup on. I would tend to feel better when I looked better, I was much more productive, and I wouldn't avoid people if I ran into them at the store or car pool line.  -Faith B. 
      • Take them to a park... One big thing I am really strong for young mothers is structure and saying NO a lot.  It will help you beyond belief when they become teenagers... say NO  -Ruth V. 

    • Thank God all day long, even for dishes. I am blessed to have dirty dishes, I had a great meal to eat. I am thankful that my eczema is not bad & I can wash my own dishes. I am thankful that I have the privilege to homeschool my children, and share lunch with them. I am thankful for all the messes they make, because God gave me the gift of children. You can't be thankful and depressed at the same time, God designed our brains to make that impossible. Another, super easy pick-me-up, is music. I'll put on God Rocks!, 1 Girl Nation, Britt Nicole, Press Play, or some other Christian music that just makes me want to dance and sing. The whole atmosphere in the house can change from one song.  -Misty O. 

    • Totally agree with the fun dance music! today, we were making smoothies for the kiddos, turned on Brit Nicole's "GOLD", picked up a banana (as my microphone) and started rockin' it in front of the kids… then my daughter picked up a banana too and we rocked it out together! Love those moments! Be silly, have fun, and "let it go"… that's another fun one to sing along with too!       -Sarah W.

      Thanks so much to all the ladies who contributed to this blog!  You are full of wisdom, creativity and good practical ideas!  Let me learn from all of you!  -Rachel :-) 


1 comment: